Tuesday 1 December 2009

Disruption 3 - Final Piece

We had our final tutorial with John before hand in and we discussed different ways we might present our work. John reminded us that is you don't necessarily need to discount any ideas which made me think that a book would be the best vehicle for my ideas. I thought this for a number of reasons. First of all, if I included all the imagery I'd produced in this project, the book would be a map of my journey through the brief. The book seemed also like a good medium for mapping because of it's nature it suggests a chronological sequence, so it could be a map of my thinking; what I thought at first and what I think now etc. Another reason is that in the images of the psychiatrist's office I made and also in the story I wrote in the very beginning, books are mentioned, and I think it is something you would very much associate with a psychiatrist because of their long training and hard exams. This made me think I wanted the book to look like one of the leather bound ones you would see on a shelf in their practice. Another convenient reason is that I am doing Hilary's bookbinding workshop alongside this project and had just learnt how to made a pretty convincing hardback book.

I already had all of my imagery, I just needed to put them together to make the pages. Usually, I would have found this part hard, but I restricted myself to 2 or 3 images per page and worked zoomed out from the page so I could focus on the overall look of the layout before I concentrated on the detail. I liked this way of working, and will keep it in mind for the future. Here are some of the pages:



After working out the pagination, I printed the pages and sewed them together using a french sewing stitch. I glued on a back covered in a red leathery bookbinding material ant the book was almost ready. I hadn't put anything on the cover, so I decided to make a dust jacket in the same colour as the material. I didn't want any images on the jacket because I wanted it to look as clinical and textbook like on the outside as possible. This I think is quite a nice contrast to the abstract imagery inside.


I received good feedback from the crit session, the only thing that was really mentioned was the dust jacket. I printed it on standard printer paper and it looks a bit tatty and not very exciting, I would maybe re-print this onto glossy paper.



No comments:

Post a Comment