Thursday 26 November 2009

Sound and Vision: Disruption

This is the 'song mapping' project. The starting points were songs chosen by the tutors, from which I picked 'Frontier Psychiatrist' by the Avalanches. I have to say I was completely confused by the brief at first and it took me a weeks or so to even come up with any ideas. As it was a mapping project, I began first by analysing the data of the song, the beats, instruments, samples and lyrics. I didn't know where I was going with this at all, and whilst waiting to see John about it, I doodled a picture of what I thought a psychiatrist's office would look like. When I showed this to John he explained that this would be a good starting point as a map can be anything you want. This was the map of the scene in my head when listening to the song. The first image I made was a collage of furniture to visualise this more clearly.

Along with this I gathered some more found images and put them together for example:




Here I started to think about the final piece much too soon. I was panicking about the definition of a map and went back to the data of the song. I sorted the lyrics into alphabetical order and counted how many times they appeared. From this I created and index:























I also tried to put the elements I had already together to make a final piece. I used the repetition f the word 'Dexter' here and played on it on the layout

This is where I got stuck. 

No comments:

Post a Comment